Official Information Act – Section 23
- Subject to section 6(a) to (d), section 7, section 9(2)(b), and section 10 of this Act and to subsections (2), (4), and (5) of this section, where a Department or Minister of the Crown or organisation makes, on or after the 1st day of July 1983, a decision or recommendation in respect of any person, being a decision or recommendation in respect of that person in his or its personal capacity, that person has the right to and shall, on request made within a reasonable time of the making of the decision or recommendation, be given a written statement of –
- The findings on material issues of fact; and
- Subject to [subsection (2A) of this section], a reference to the information on which the findings were based; and
- The reasons for the decision or recommendation.
- The right conferred by subsection (1) of this section may be exercised only by a person who is –
- A New Zealand citizen; or
- A permanent resident of New Zealand; or
- A person who is in New Zealand; or
- A body corporate which is incorporated in New Zealand; or
- A body corporate which is incorporated outside New Zealand but which has a place of business in New Zealand
- Nothing in this section entitles any person to obtain a written statement of advice given to the Sovereign or her representative.
Back to top