- Key Focus Areas
- Enquiries & Complaints
- Human Rights
- The Treaty
- Disabled People
- Race Relations
- International & UN
- Office of Human Rights Proceedings
- Disability complaints booklet
- Disabled People’s Rights Reports
- Te Urunga Award for inclusiveness
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Previous work
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Mental illness and human rights
- Disabled Childrens Right to Education
Making disability rights real: monitoring the Disability Convention
The UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Disability Convention) focuses on the human rights of disabled people. The Disability Convention recognises that disabled people do not generally have the same access to human rights as other people do. It calls on governments worldwide to remove barriers preventing disabled people from participating fully in society. The Government has agreed to implement this convention. This means disabled people in New Zealand can expect their rights to be realised more quickly.
To help monitor the implementation of the Disability Convention, a mechanism or group of agencies has been set up to monitor and report on the Government’s performance. This group is made up of three independent partners: the Human Rights Commission; the Ombudsman and the New Zealand Convention Coalition.
Annual report of the monitoring mechanism
The first annual report of the Independent Monitoring Mechanism of the Disability Convention has been released and available to download in the following formats:
- Making disability rights real – Annual report of the Independent Monitoring Mechanism of the Disability Convention (700 Kb PDF)
- Making disability rights real – Annual report of the Independent Monitoring Mechanism of the Disability Convention (1.1Mb Word)
- Making disability rights real – Annual report of the Independent Monitoring Mechanism of the Disability Convention (HTML)
- Making disability rights real – Introduction and At a glance NZSL.
- Braille version available for the introduction and At a glance (summary) sections of the report – email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Easy Read version (5.6MB)
Information about the Disability Convention’s monitoring mechanism
A leaflet, Making disability rights real, has been produced to explain each member’s role and how the Government’s progress on the Disability Convention will be monitored.
Making disability rights real is available in the following formats:
- Making disability rights real – HTML
- Making disability rights real – single pages PDF 700Kb
- Making disability rights real – for printing PDF 700Kb
- Making disability rights real – large print version Word 400Kb
- Braille version is available upon request to email@example.com.
- If you’d like a published copy of this brochure please email firstname.lastname@example.org.