Other rights of review/appeal

Please note that your right to seek review of a decision in the High Court, your right to complain to the Office of the Ombudsmen; your right to lobby Parliament and to seek help from an MP are not covered on this website.

Painted Piano Project North Beach 250x187 Other rights of review/appeal

Open-air tunes: Public pianos for impromptu concerts. Credit: Gapfiller project.

Judicial review

For advice about your right to seek review through the courts please consult a lawyer.

The contact details for the Canterbury-Westland branch of the New Zealand Law Society are:

Street address:

Unit 1, 8 Homersham Place
Burnside 8053

Postal address:

PO Box 565,
Christchurch 8140

Phone:        03 366 9184
Fax:            03 366 9977

Email: canterbury-westland@lawsociety.org.nz 

Visit the Canterbury-Westland Branch webpage 

The contact details for Community Law Canterbury are:

New Office:

186 Shaw Ave
New Brighton

Temporary Office:

35 Riccarton Road,
PO Box 2912

Phone:        03 366 6870
Fax:            03 366 6631

Email:         admin@canlaw.org.nz

Visit the Community Law Canterbury website 

The Office of the Ombudsmen

Ombudsmen are independent Officers of Parliament who can investigate complaints about the administrative conduct of central and local government agencies.  An Ombudsman’s investigation is free and is conducted in private.

The contact details for the Office of the Ombudsmen are:

545 Wairakei Road
Christchurch 8053

Phone:        0800 802 602
Phone:        03 357 455
Fax:            03 357 4552

Email:         complaint@ombudsmen.parliament.nz

Petitioning Parliament

Anyone may petition Parliament to ask it to act on a matter of public policy or law, or to set right a local or private issue.  A petition is a document addressed to the House of Representatives and signed by at least one person.  It asks the House to act on a matter of public policy or law, or to put right a local or private concern.  Anyone of any age can petition the House including corporations and unincorporated bodies with sufficient identity as organisations.

There are rules about what comprises an acceptable petition.  The rules are outlined in Petitioning the House of Representatives 

The Real Estate Agents Authority

The Real Estate Agents Authority is an independent, body for regulating the real estate industry.  It provides independent supervision of the real estate industry, encourages a high standard of service and professionalism within the industry, and offers a means of protection for buyers and sellers of real estate.

The authority has an independent and fair process for dealing with concerns about the behaviour of a real estate agent.  Anyone can raise a concern about the behaviour of a current or former real estate agent.  There is no cost to raise a concern with the authority:

The contact details for the authority are:

The Real Estate Agents Authority
PO Box 25371
Wellington 6146

Phone:        0800 for REAA (0800 367 7322) or 04 471 8930
Fax:            04 815 8468
Email:         info@reaa.govt.nz

Visit the Real Estate Institute Authority webpage

Insurance & Savings Ombudsman (ISO)

The Insurance & Savings Ombudsman Scheme provides a free independent service for people with a complaint about services provided by some financial service providers.  If you have a complaint about a financial service provider that can’t be resolved without assistance, the ISO may be able to help.  It can deal with complaints about: fire and general, health and life insurance, investments, loans and credit, superannuation, and financial services advice.

The ISO has an extensive FAQ sheet to deal with issues arising out of the Canterbury Earthquakes

The contact details for the ISO are:

PO Box 10845
Wellington 6143

Phone:     0800 888 202
Fax:         04 499 7614
Email:      info@iombudsman.org.nz

Back to top